Highlander Boys Take On The Storm, News, Atom, 2011-2012 (Grey-Bruce Highlanders AAA Minor Hockey Association)

This Team is part of the 2011-2012 season, which is not set as the current season.
News Article
News Article Image
Mar 02, 2012 | pstewart | 1366 views
Highlander Boys Take On The Storm
The Highlanders headed to Guelph on Saturday to take on the Junior Storm.  With Talon between the pipes, his team mates came out ready to help defend their territory.

In the first period the Grey Bruce boys showed Guelph they came to play.  With some chances for both teams throughout the period, Guelph was the first to put their mark on the score board, with 4:11 left in the period.  The Highlanders fought hard for the remainder of the period to try to even out the score.  Some good scoring chances were made by Ahrens, Black and Fahrer, but they were unable to get past the Guelph goalie.  The period ended with Guelph up by 1.

The second period started out fast with both teams battling hard.  It was well into the period before the Guelph team scored their second goal with 3:40 left in the second, and then another with 2:31 seconds left.  But this seemed to spark the Highlanders boys and William Black responded with a goal of his own late in the second period.  The period ended at 3-1 for the Storm. 

The boys kept the Storm on their toes right off the bat in the third period.  Matthew came out to take the place of Talon for the remainder of the game, and denied any further goals from the Storm.  William Black carried the puck up the ice early in the third and rifled a shot on net.  Mark Aljoe managed to cash one in shortly after with the Highlanders second goal in the game at 14:15 in the third.  The Storm had to work hard throughout the third period to keep the puck out of their net.  With a rush by defender Dawson Fahrer and great shot on net, and lots of pressure from the forwards, the Storm was feeling the pressure for the remainder of the period.  The Highlanders came out in full force for the last several minutes of the game with lots of scoring chances, and had the fans on their feet for the last few minutes of play.  Despite their effort, they could not find the back of the net and ended the game at 3-2. 

Article written by Janice Bye